NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Friday, March 23, 2018
Search terms are not case-sensitive. Lower- and upper-case letters return the same search results. For example, searching for Lung Cancer or lung cancer will yield identical results.
The default search is AND. For example, when you search for lung cancer smoking, the search engine will find only those items that have the words lung AND cancer AND smoking in them.
The closer the words are to one another, the higher the item’s ranking in the results list.
1. Be specific. Enter more than one word, if necessary. For example, if you’re looking for information on Lung Cancer, type in both words rather than just Lung.
2. If there are no results for your search, try another search, using only the most important words relating to your topic. For example, to find items on lung cancer, type in lung cancer, not What are some treatments or signs of lung cancer.
3. Use the word OR to broaden your search. For example, searching for lung OR pulmonary will return items that have at least one of these words.
4. Use the word NOT to exclude words from your search. For example, to find items on lung cancer that do not mention smoking, type lung cancer NOT smoking.
5. Use Quotes to search for a specific phrase, for example, "American Lung Association". This will find only those items that have that exact phrase in them
6. Use parentheses ( ) to tell the search engine what to do first. For example, to find items on lung or pulmonary and cancer or neoplasm, type (lung OR pulmonary) AND (cancer OR neoplasm)
7. Use an asterisk * at the end of the main word to search for a word with several different endings. For example, to find smoke or smokes or smoking or smoked, type smok*. Use a question mark ? to limit these alternate endings to just one letter. For example, to find birth or births but not birthing or birthday, type birth?.